Are you studying about the session layer and want to know in detail about it? Just be relaxed, I will explain all of the information that is related to it. You will come to know about the functions, applications, services, etc which I will describe further. You will get a brief idea regarding the establishment of it. So let us read what is it.
What Is The Session Layer?
Session Layer is the 5th layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI), that manages dialogs or connections between multiple computers. It creates, maintains, and terminates links between the local and remote applications. It allows for full-duplex, half-duplex, or simplex service and develops protocols for testing, delaying, ending, and restarting the services.
OSI Session Layer
The session layer in OSI model program settings uses the remote data types that are directly introduced. The layer session in OSI is responsible for the smooth closing of sessions. It does tracking and recovery of sessions, which are not commonly used in the Internet Protocol Suite. It is the property that is used for the Transmission Control Protocol.
Functions Of Session layer
Here are the session layer functions that are given in the following:
- It sets up, breaks down, and handles the connection between the two endpoints of the application.
- This builds semi-permanent transport bridges for better productivity and continuous data establishment.
- It will hide the connectivity failures and manages them properly from the upper-layer services.
- It manages data synchronization with different session streams.
Applications Of Session Layer
In the following, you will come to know about the applications. So read below to understand the uses of the layer session.
- The protocol can be used for setting up, managing, and ending sessions.
- It is used to establish high-level communications in the network.
- This will provide synchronization and management of the services.
- It helps in managing the dialog control.
Services Of Session Layer
You will get the following services by layer session in the OSI model.
- Session restoration
Session Layer Protocol
There are different protocols of it that you will come to know in the following.
- AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol – ADSP
- AppleTalk Session Protocol – ASP
- Call Control Protocol for Multimedia Communication – H.245
- OSI session-layer protocol (X.225, ISO 8327) – ISO-SP
- Internet Storage Name Service – iSNS
- Layer 2 Forwarding Protocol – L2F
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol – L2TP
- Network Basic Input Output System – NetBIOS
- Password Authentication Protocol – PAP
- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol – PPTP
- Remote Procedure Call Protocol – RPC
- Real-time Transport Control Protocol – RTCP
- Short Message Peer-to-Peer – SMPP
- Session Control Protocol – SCP
- the SOCKS internet protocol – SOCKS
- Zone Information Protocol – ZIP
- Sockets Direct Protocol – SDP
Which Device Is Used In The Session Layer?
The gateway device is used in the session authentication, authorization, and restoration of the sessions.
What Is A Session In Networking?
A session in networking is a temporary and continuous exchange of information between two or more communicating devices or between a computer and a person. When a networking session is developed it requires more than one message from each direction.
What Is The Difference Between The Session And Transport Layer?
The difference between the session and transport layer is very simple.
- The session develops a connection between two computer systems. The transport layer will develop a link between two devices.
- The layer session provides services like authentication, authorization, and restoration of the session. While the transport layer helps in proper reliability.
- The Gateway device is used by the Session layer. Whereas the transport layer uses a Firewall device.
How Does The Session Layer Establish A Connection?
The session layer establishes a connection by opening and closing the sessions between end-user program processes. It is a layer that manages single or multiple sessions and connections for each end-user program and connects it directly with both the presentation and the transport layers. It allows for full-duplex, half-duplex, or simplex service and develops protocols for testing, delaying, closing, and restarting the services.
The information on the session layer that you read above was very helpful for you. The functions, application, etc are the important points that I explained very simply. After reading them you understood every point easily. You came to know about different protocols of it. So now you have got an idea of the session layer and what does it do.